Wednesday, February 8, 2012

C4T #1

Brian Bennett
Brian Bennett is a biology and chemistry teacher in Evansville, IN. He blogs frequently about how to incorporate technology into teaching instructions, and also comments on education policy and pushes for open-internet policies in schools.

Comment on post #1
Brian's first post that I read was titled "Don't Miss Today". He talked about how teachers are planners; they plan everything, and sometimes too much planning can turn into just an "ideal", which is discouraging for teachers. Then, he stated that sometimes he gets caught up in the future of teaching rather than the needs of his students now. He said that we should always work for a better system, but to not look too far ahead and miss what it is that our students today need.
Children raising their hands in a classroom to answer a question their teacher has asked, who is standing at the board.

In my comment back to him, I stated that I was a student at South Alabama studying to be a math teacher, and that I am so excited to start teaching to show students that math can be fun. I want to incorporate technology and show my students that they really can enjoy math. I told him that I really liked his last sentence about never looking too far ahead of yourself to miss what your current students need. I thought that was well said, and I hope to always be present for what my students need right then and there.

Comment on post #2
Brian's post was titled "I Can't Teach Science". It was basically telling how that "teaching" the way science works only takes the magic away from students actually seeing how it works. He states that science is suppose to be observed and questioned; it is living. There should be debates, discussions, and troubleshooting taking place. He says, if not, then we are only teaching our students letters and numbers, and this is why our test scores are so low.

I commented on his post and said that I am studying to become a math teacher, and this post really interested me. I said that just like science, math also needs to be discussed and troubleshooted in order for students to really grasp it. If this was done more often, maybe our math scores would be higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment